Monday, January 23, 2012

Chicken Tostadas

Husband has always been a big fan of tostadas (don't ask me why since they should taste just like a taco...) so when I saw this in one of my new slow cooker magazines I knew it was a must make! We had a family dinner yesterday after church so it was nice to have a meal that was cooking while we were gone. Pardon the plate made by Super Sweet Super Picky Niece but it is always my favorite to use when I am over at their house. This meal was SUPER good. The limes we bought earlier in the week were not looking so usable when we went to start it and since it was Sunday we had a very "make it work" crisis moment. Not to fear. We had a lemon for some other recipe on the schedule so we used that and it still turned out scrumptious. We will definitely be making this again and now I can say I told you so to Husband when he gives me crap about my addiction to cooking magazines. 5 out of 5 stars, although when I was just eating it for lunch I accidentally said 10 stars so I guess it should be a 10 out of 5 stars.
Source: Diabetic Slow Cooker

Serves: 10

Ingredients

  • 2 jalapeƱo pepper seeded, finely chopped (See tip below)
  • 8 cloves garlic minced
  • 3 tablespoons Chili powder
  • 3 tablespoons lime juice
  • 14 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
  • 1 medium onion sliced and separated into rings
  • 2 lbs skinless boneless chicken thighs
  • 1 (16-ounce) can fat-free refried beans
  • 10 tostada shells
  • 34 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese shredded
  • 2 cups lettuce shredded
  • 34 cup bottled salsa
  • 34 cup light sour cream
  • 12 cup sliced ripe olives

Directions

  1. 1. In a 3 1/2 to 5 quart slow cooker combine jalapeno peppers, garlic, chili powder, lime juice, and hot pepper sauce. Add onion and chicken to cooker.
  2. 2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
  3. 3. Remove chicken and onion from cooker, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Using two forks, shred chicken. In a medium bowl combine chicken, onion and the 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
  4. 4. Spread refried beans on tostada shells. Top with chicken mixture and shredded cheese. Serve with lettuce, salsa, sour cream and olives. If desired serve with lime wedges.
Amount Per Serving

Calories: 285

Fat: 11g

Cholesterol: 86mg

Sodium: 606mg

Sugar: 2g

Carbohydrate: 22g

Fiber: 5g

Protein: 25g
A tip from me to you:
Jalapenos can be nasty little buggers when you cut them and then touch ANYTHING. Usually my fingers burn for hours after cutting those stupid little bandits. Here is my super classy solution:
Ziplocs. Yes. Those are ziplocs.


No comments:

Post a Comment