Friday, March 2, 2012

Spinach Tortellini en Brodo


Ok, Husband and I disagree about this. I concede that it is good but I don't think it as good as our other tortellini soup recipe and he says it is better. I think he prefers this one because the other one has a tartness from the balsamic vinegar and this one has a more "chicken noodlie" taste. I obviously did like as we made it a few days ago and I just ate more for lunch today. That's the really good news... makes lots of leftovers. The other good news: it is surprisingly kid friendly. Thing 1 ate a little and then moved on to something else but Thing 2 kept on eating. I've actually given him this several times since we've made it but I mostly just fish the tortellini out and cut it up for him. Still, if I can make something for us and tweak it a little so the kids will eat it I'm a happy mom. As always we left out the celery. You can pretty much bet that if something contains celery it will be left out. It is my compromise with Husband. I get to keep olives if I give up celery. DEAL! Anyway, I really liked the freshness of this soup and it came when I had a yucky cold so it was a very welcomed dish. I will go with Husband on this one and give it a 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Source: http://www.skinnytaste.com/
Serves: 8

Ingredients

  • 2 tsp butter
  • 2 stalks of celery, choppeds
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 carrot, peeled & chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 8 cups chicken broth
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 small Parmigiano Reggiano Rind optional
  • 18 oz spinach cheese tortellini Buitoni
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 2 cups baby spinach
  • salt to taste
  • Parmigiano Reggiano, grated

Directions

  1. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. When melted, add the celery, onion, carrot & garlic. Cover and reduce heat to low and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
  2. Add the chicken broth, water, rind and increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. When broth boils, add salt (to taste), pepper and nutmeg. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to low and add tortellini. Simmer until tortellini cooks to al dente.
  3. Once cooked, remove the rind, and add the baby spinach. Stir to combine. Garnish with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano!
  4. Makes 12 cups
Amount Per Serving
Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 1-1/2 cups • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 6 pts
Calories: 226.6 • Fat: 5.3 g • Carb: 33.8 g • Fiber: 0.9 g • Protein: 11.3 g

No comments:

Post a Comment